Hello everyone…so today I have a class assignment! I read a graphic memoir called Maus and I have chapter questions that I have to answer so lets just get right into it.
Why does Art Spiegelman use mice instead of people to portray the characters in the story? What do the mice represent?
- He used mice instead of people to hid their identity from the people.
- The mice represent the Jews.
Why does Ms.Stefanska go to jail? What role did Anja play in Ms.Stefanska going to jail?
- Ms. Stefanska went to jail because she hid some comunist papers.
- The role that Anja played was that she was the one who gave her the papers and told her to hide it.
What does Vladek mean on page 50, when he says, “Well at least I did something.” Do you believe that he is justified in feeling this way? Explain.
- Vladek means that killing one of the Nazi’s men, he did some what of a service and didn’t leave the body.
- I don’t think he’s justified in feeling this way because he did after all kill someone.
Although Jews were allowed only limited rations under the Nazi occupation, Vladek manages to circumvent these restrictions for a while. What methods does he use to support himself and his family?
- He sells clothes and uses jewelry to get food and looks for jobs.
How did Vladek care for Anja after the destruction of the Srodula ghetto? Contrast his behavior toward his first wife, during the worst years of the war, with the way he now treats Mala.
- Vladek treated Anja very kindly after the destruction of the Srodula ghetto. He was supportive and treated her with great care. Vladek didn’t treat Mala well and blamed her for lots of the problems.
Why does Artie call his father a murderer? Is he justified? Who else has he called a murderer, and why?
- Artie called his father a murderer because he burned Anja’s (his mother) diaries.
- He is justified because that was the only way he could have known about his mother and her conditions